Recently we went to a Kimchi making session at the Boneless Kitchen organised by the Singapore Vegetarian Meetup group. We like to share the vegetarian Kimchi recipe with you now!
Preparation: 90 mins, Fermentation time: 24 hours
- 1kg of Cabbage
- 100g of Salt
- 5 tablespoon of Korean Chilli Powder
- 40g of sugar
- 15g of Sesame Oil
- A tiny piece of ginger
- 8g of Vinegar (Optional)
- At least 50ml of water
1. Slice the cabbage into small pieces. You can also peel the cabbage by hand.
2. Place the sliced cabbage into a container and then add in salt. The salt is to be added in the proportion of 10: 1 to the cabbage serving to facilitate the fermentation process.
3. Mix the salt thoroughly with the sliced cabbage for 20 minutes
4. Pour about 300ml of water into the container and allow the sliced cabbage to soak for 45 minutes to 1 hour
5. Prepare the chilli paste with the above mentioned ingredients.
6. Drain the water into a bowl. Also squeeze some water from the sliced cabbage. Do not squeeze all the water from the sliced cabbage lest the fermentation will not take place.
7. Mix the sliced cabbage with the chilli paste.
8. Leave the cabbage to ferment for a day. You can keep a lid on the container during the fermentation process. However, you should not close the lid completely so as not to trap the gas from the fermentation in the container. You can then keep the Kimchi in the fridge for preservation.
We hope you will enjoy this vegetarian Kimchi recipe. We look forward to sharing more in the near future!