There are two common types of Amaranth leaves found in our local markets. One is fully green and the other type is streak through with shades of red and purple. When buying amaranth leaves, look for relatively young bunches of the plant so that it’ll not be too hard to chew. If you happen to buy the bigger bunches, remember to peel off the skin on the stem, else it’ll be too hard.
Preparation: 10 mins, Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- 100g-150g amaranth 苋菜
- 1 slice ginger, julienne
- 1 tablespoon wolfberries, soaked
- 3 red dates, soaked
- 1/3 carrot, julienne (optional)
- 5 Vegetarian fish balls, diced (optional)
- 750ml water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Put the water, ginger, red dates, carrot and vegetarian fish balls into a pot. Bring to boil and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the wolfberries once the water starts to boil.
- Add in the amaranth leaves and stir for a while.
- Once the leaves turned colour, season to taste with salt, pepper and sesame oil.
- Ladle the soup into a serving bowl and serve hot.